Thursday, January 8, 2009

Seminary was fun this morning. I started out showing a gift I'd received from Scott, an Ellensburg blue agate that he'd hid in a super nice thick winter sock. I told them about another time he'd hid a stone in some socks at Christmas for me: my engagement ring on Dec 24, 1979. I told them how I grew up in Wyo and I even drew a map of Wyo (not hard) and showed them where Laramie is. I showed them an agate and some quartz from around Laramie. Then a rock we picked up at a beach near Forks, Washington. Then I pulled out a big guns rock and told them it had a special name. I got out a stand and put on a sign "The first stone" Someone guessed what it was about. So we got into John 8:1-11. So we discussed not judging, and I mentioned the book I'm reading which is hilarious; Baptists at our BBQ and the self righteous characters in that book or movie. We read about tolerance of a sinner but not tolerate the sin. I read to them from a story on ESPN about a football team in Faith, TX that hosted a game against boys from a correctional institute. They had half their audience and cheerleaders cheer for the opposite team. The boys felt cared for and it meant a lot to them.
From there we talked about whether practicing football 2 hours everyday was a type of bondage or not. They decided no, it was choice. Then I asked about piano practicing. They thought it might be a type of bondage. But then I brought up how the only way one has the freedom to sit down and play on the piano is if they have practiced. And we read how decipleship and the truth will make you free. Practicing correct principles gives one the power to do wonderful things. Where as sin or ignorance keeps one from doing or being all they can be.
After discussing this for awhile, I put up the word strip
"Whose Your Daddy"
If you read John chapter 8, you can't help but notice there is quite a bit of discussion about whose children were the church leaders at that time. They thought they were of Abraham. Jesus said no. They thought they were children of God. Jesus said no. He then went on to tell them they are children of the devil for they did not do the works of God or Abraham, love the son of God, and they had murderous thoughts in their hearts.
Of course, we ended with how then the leaders wanted to Stone Jesus but he had somehow dissapeared. Isn't that a great story? We also talked about how in John 6, Jesus is the source of LIving Water and The Bread of Life. In 8 he says he is The LIght of The World, God sent him and before Abraham was, "I Am." cool huh. Get to know your Savior, read the Bible. Its great.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, great post! You sound like a really good seminary teacher. I'm enjoying reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete